POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Animation at all.. : Re: Animation at all.. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation at all..
From: Ken
Date: 21 Nov 1999 12:31:22
Message: <38382C15.529E0DA7@pacbell.net>
"Martin T. Thoma" wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm a totally newbee in PovRay. I managed to write some easy scenens so
> far. But how is animation done ? A small hint or an example would be
> very helpfull..
>
> Reagrds
>
> Martin

In the directory that you installed POV-Ray into you will find a subdirectory
called scenes and another inside that called animate. You will find several
example files showing you how to write your scene to use the clock variable.
You will still need to activate POV-Ray's animation feature by using an
.ini file with the correct info or with command line switches. I personaly
like to use the ini file method. If you try this open the master povray.ini
file from the tools menu and add the following lines:

;clock=1
;Initial_Frame=1
;Final_Frame=20
;Cyclic_Animation = on
;Subset_Start_Frame=6
;Subset_End_Frame=9

Save the file and close it. When you need to use the animation feature
simply go in and edit the povray.ini file and uncomment out the functions
you want to use. At a minimum you will need to use the initial_frame and
final_frame option to make it work. Once you have stopped rendering your
series of frames be sure to comment out the clock variables in the ini
file. After you have rendered a series of individual frames you will
still need to compile them into the animation format that you wish to
use such as AVI or MPEG. See my links pages for programs that can help
you do this. POV-Ray has no internal ability to do this for you except
on the Macintosh platform of the program.